Company for analysis: Seagate Technology
Topic: Managing People: Cross Cultural Management
You need to reference each company and each website.
The aim of this assignment is to suggest the role played by management scholars in developing new ideas useful to individuals interested in cross cultural management. Specifically this assignment addresses the ideas and frameworks of Geert Hofstede.
Executives manage employees of different nationalities and cultures. They often do business in different countries or with representatives who live in different countries and cultures. Geert Hofstede is a researcher who developed a set of national culture dimensions. Hofstede’s original ideas regarding differences in national culture resulted from a large scale research project that captured insight from surveys completed by over 100,000 employees of IBM working in their offices in 64 countries in the 1970’s. He then followed up this research with more data collection from managers in 19 countries, students and airline pilots in 23 countries, and consumers and government managers in 14 countries.
From this enormous set of data, Hofstede and his research team identified five independent dimensions of national culture differences. These dimensions include:
• The distribution of roles between genders in a society;
• The tolerance for uncertainty and ambiguity in a society;
• The extent to which a society has a long or short term orientation;
• The extent to which the less powerful members of society accept that power is distributed unequally; and,
• The degree to which individuals in a society are integrated into groups.
A worthwhile reading for this assignment is Hofstede’s consequences: The impact of his work on consulting and business practices by John Bing. It is referenced in the Syllabus where the readings are noted for this course.
This assignment seeks to help you understand the answer to a broader concern and that is, “How are some national cultures similar?” You should base your responses to the following questions on your analysis of the ideas of Geert Hofstede.
In order to complete this assignment, you will need to access the country profiles based on Hofstede’s cultural dimensions using the following website: http://www.geert-hofstede.com.
Please complete the following exercises:
• Identify five countries that are similar in terms of Power Distance. Summarize in your own words why they are similar.
• Identify five countries that are similar in terms of Individualism. Summarize in your own words why they are similar.
• Identify five countries that are similar in terms of Masculinity/Femininity. Summarize in your own words why they are similar.
• Identify five countries that are similar in terms of Uncertainty Avoidance. Summarize in your own words why they are similar.
• Identify five countries that are similar in terms of Temporal Orientation. Summarize in your own words why they are similar.
• In one half page, please summarize what you think is the connection between the key insights of the Bing (2004) reading and this assignment.
Hint: The country profiles described in terms of Hofstede’s cultural dimensions (http://www.geert-hofstede.com) may be of great value when completing this assignment.
Are you looking for a similar paper or any other quality academic essay? Then look no further. Our research paper writing service is what you require. Our team of experienced writers is on standby to deliver to you an original paper as per your specified instructions with zero plagiarism guaranteed. This is the perfect way you can prepare your own unique academic paper and score the grades you deserve.
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.[order_calculator]